Welcome to A Well-Designed Business! Today’s guest, Carissa Miller of CC and Mike, shares how a “completely unexpected opportunity” turned into a leap of faith for her and her husband, Mike. Carissa’s journey is so much more than that happy accident, though, as you’re going to hear. Listen in to this inspiring conversation around how an Instagram post that went viral launched her into a rapidly growing business that she never saw coming, as well as how she and her husband navigated the unique challenges that come with running a business with your spouse.
CC and Mike are a husband and wife team who make dream homes happen nation-wide, offering full-service design, build, and remodel services to their clients. Launched in May 2016, their social media and blog following have grown rapidly to include followers from all over the world who look to CC and Mike for design and building inspiration for their own homes. CC and Mike’s audience loves following their adventures as they design, flip, and renovate homes!
- Carissa’s background and professional experience in photography led to a desire to “re-brand” her career.
- Carissa shares how she has always designed and her husband, Mike, has always built their own homes, and a photo of her bedroom posted to her new Instagram account became an instant hit, with One Kings Lane and Pottery Barn asking for interviews and design advice. From there, she started getting requests from people to design for them.
- Contracts, policies, and procedures have been the biggest change in their lives since designing for a client, versus designing and flipping houses for themselves.
- Mistakes and lessons are part of the learning curve, but everybody has to start somewhere!
- Carissa describes how scary it was to take a leap of faith.
- Investing the time and money in a business coach or consultant brings another’s perspective and helps you to grow your business the right way.
- Carissa addresses how she and Mike stayed in agreement during the early days. “Stay in your lane” and work inside your strengths.
- Hiring the right employees that complement your business is critical.
- The transition from being business partners during the day and husband and wife after hours takes some conscious effort!
Connect with Carissa!
Process Leads to Profits - Returning November 2020!
Learn the Four P’s of design from Sara Lynn Brennan:
Processes, Partnerships, Packages and Profits…as well as the “secret sauce” that has doubled her business in the last year!
Sign Up For Updates HERE!
Eileen B. Hahn's Interior Design Firm Hiring Toolkit
LuAnn Live - Coming February 2021
Join the E-Mail List to Get Updates!
Is Chairman of the Board Right for YOUR Business?
LuAnn Nigara COB
Get the Goodies! - For checklists, resources, and extra goodies!
To Get on LuAnn’s Email List, text the word designbiz to 444999!
Purchase LuAnn’s Books Here:
Book 1: The Making of A Well - Designed Business: Turn Inspiration into Action
Book 2: A Well-Designed Business - The Power Talk Friday Experts
LuAnn’s Podcast - Please SUBSCRIBE, Rate & Review!
Power Talk Friday
A Big THANK YOU to These Podcast Sponsors:
FREE Trial! A One-Stop Shop to Keep Everything Organized!
Check Out Their Client Portal and Time Tracking Features!
Mydoma Studio: A Well Designed Business
When your client wants the finest in luxury appliances for their kitchen.
Are You Set Up with Monogram's Design Partner Trade Program?
#363 Power Talk Friday: Eileen Hahn: Building An Exceptional Interior Design Team
#06 Identifying Your Transferrable Skills with Erika Ward
#474 Bria Hammel: Keys to Scaling Your Interior Design Firm
#480 Chris Loves Julia: Quality Content Creation is Key to Their Success