The guest for today's show is the truly remarkable Darla Powell, of Darla Powell Interiors, in Florida. Darla and LuAnn initially became friends through the social media of the podcast and then continued their friendship with conversations on the Designer Facebook Groups that they were both in and also through Instagram. It's not unusual for LuAnn to become friends with the people that she interviews for the podcast, and she and Darla also have a few friends in common (Mark McDonough from Tastefully Inspired and Karina from Superior K Interiors), so she really thought she knew all about her, until she went out and did her research for the interview. Then she was truly surprised to learn a few things about Darla that she didn't know before! Listen in to find out all about these surprising details.
Mark McDonough was actually the person who suggested to LuAnn that she should consider having Darla on the show. He pointed out that this was a second career for her and that she was going to be a truly amazing Interior Designer, as she was really putting her all into it, after having retired from her first career. Listen in now, to find out more about Darla and how she came to be doing what she does now.
- Darla talks to LuAnn about her first career- in Law Enforcement, for eighteen and a half years, as a Detective Sargent with the Miami-Dade Police Department, where she thought about quitting her job and becoming an Interior Designer almost every day!
- Darla talks about her long journey from Law Enforcement to Interior Design.
- How Darla really became really motivated to become an Interior Designer, after listening to one of LuAnn's podcasts, with Mark McDonough.
- Darla's Instagram is only seven or eight months old and it already has way over seven thousand followers!
- The biggest tip that Mark McDonough gave to Darla, about finding brands that align with her work and commenting on their posts straight away.
- The great value in taking the time to be genuine and really engaging with people on social media. This makes you human and really helps your brand- and gets people to stay with you.
- As long as you're putting out great content, your fans will still love you, even if you don't follow them back.
- LuAnn and Darla discuss the portfolio which is up on Darla's website, which is actually her entire own home, done on a limited budget.
- Darla talks about the fabulous blog, which is called Wing-nuts and Wallpaper and really reflects her brand voice.
- How Darla boosts her following with her blog and with her Facebook posts.
- How Nicole Heimer, (Episode #125) a really rockstar brander, has really helped Darla.
- Some areas where Darla has felt a bit overwhelmed with her new career and what she's found helpful at these times.
- How Susan Winterstein really helped Darla with her process, with an organized chart to inform the client about the whole design process.
- Why Darla quit her first career way sooner than she originally intended to do so.
Darla's website: www.darlapowell.com, where you will also find Darla's blog, Wing-nuts and Wallpaper.
Business of Design, Volume 3- Win The Flat Fee Game by Kimberley Seldon