Welcome to a very special episode of A Well-Designed Business! Today Nate Berkus joins us on the show! We really have lots to talk to him about, and at the top of the list is his first collection with Kravet Inc. This collection, called Well-Traveled, launching in June 2019 is a luxurious mix of chenille’s, statement cotton and linen prints as well as intricate embroideries, and velvet. In today's show, Nate describes how his love of organic, rich, earth-tones is incorporated in the color palette he designed for this collection. Nate's travels have been the inspiration for this collection. Each of his exclusive fabrics possesses a global point of view and the fabric collection, as a whole, represents his distinctly individual perspective, which blends history, architecture, and artwork from all around the world. Listen in to find out about Nate's approach to his business, his perspective on color and design, and how he came to work with Oprah.
- Nate talks about his new venture, in collaboration with Kravet Inc, which launches in June 2019.
- Nate has really enjoyed working with the passionate, creative team at Kravet Inc!
- LuAnn is looking forward to featuring some of Nate's collection in her newly-renovated showroom at Window Works.
- Nate explains what inspired him to start his own interior design firm at the age of twenty-four.
- Nate talks about what he set out to do when he first started out on his own.
- The impact that social media has had on the interior design industry.
- Running his business like a Fortune 500 company with systems, procedures and cross checks.
- Nate explains why creating an exceptional client experience has always been as important to him as the creativity their team produces.
- Why you can't separate who you are professionally from who you are personally.
- The importance of being honest and transparent- and owning your mistakes.
- Always remember that you can't change your reputation. It follows you wherever you go.
- Nate talks about his creative director, Lauren Buxbaum Gordon, the team she leads, the way that they support one another and their process for managing interior design projects. Nate explains why he decided not to close his design firm in 2006.
- The magical way that Nate got to meet and work with Oprah.
- Even when faced with a one of a kind opportunity, Nate made decisions based on sound business principles, exemplifying true professional leadership as an interior design firm owner.
- The moment when Oprah told America to remember Nate's name.
- Nate personal work ethic is to work as hard or harder than anyone he collaborates with. He feels it shows respect and creates an environment for more collaboration.
- His dear friend, former Co-President of Oprah Winfrey Network and President of Harp Productions, Sheri Salata, married Nick and Jeremiah Brent.
- Nancy Hala, Sheri’s business partner, and co-host on their podcast, Sheri and Nancy, is a previous guest on A Well-Designed Business, episode #377
- Sheri Salata, Nancy Hala, Nate and Jeremiah partner in a media company called Story.
- Nate discusses how he and Jeremiah work together on interior design projects and how important it is when you are in business with your spouse to respect each other's opinions.
- Nate gives his best advice for growing a profitable design firm.
Since designer Nate Berkus established his award-winning interior design firm at the age of 24, his approachable and elevated philosophy has transformed countless homes around the world through his design work, home collections, books, television shows, and media appearances. Ever since Berkus’ first appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show in 2002, he has become one of the world’s most recognizable interior designers. His work has been featured in publications including Architectural Digest, House Beautiful, VOGUE, InStyle, O Magazine and People. He is included on the ELLE DÉCOR “A-List” of the world’s top designers and was named to the AD100 list in 2018.
Website: Nate Berkus
Instagram: Nate Berkus
Facebook: Nate Berkus
Pinterest: Nate Berkus
Nate And Jeremiah By Design is on TLC on Saturday nights.
Nate’s fabric collection with Kravet Inc. is called Well-Traveled.
In spring 2019 Nate and Jeremiah launched a new line of furniture, with over 300 pieces, for Living Spaces, a retailer on the west coast of the US.
The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker